Paul discusses anxiety and depression as interpreted through an episode of the Dharmapunx Podcast.
Heather, with 269 days since her last drink, shares her story
[10:50] Paul Introduces Heather. I’m 37; I live in Los Angeles, CA. I’ve been here for about 7 years. I grew up in south Texas. I work for a small cable network. I love yoga, hiking, going to the movies. I have an identical twin sister.
[16:04] Paul- When did you realize perhaps that you don’t drink normally?
Heather- I think its been varying stages of that. Moving from Texas to New York was an adjustment. I got a job in a bar, and that was my life.
[25:54] Paul- What was the impetus that really forced you to make that jump into sobriety?
Heather- I had been reading “A Happier Hour” and the light bulb went off when I was reading that book. I was also reading a blog from tired of thinking about drinking. I started a 100-day challenge.
[35:02] Paul- When did AA come into the picture?
Heather- I am still going. I am kind of afraid of the steps. Around day 60 or 70 I was feeling lonely about talking about it, and I was afraid to go. I put it out there, and things happened.
[40:28] Rapid Fire Round
- What was your worst memory from drinking? One of my best friends husbands passed away. Her father didn’t want any of us to be drinking, and I drank anyway. I should have not drank, but I had to.
- Did you ever have an “oh-shit” moment? One of the last conversations I had with my boyfriend when he said it will be okay and we will both stop. But if we break up, I’m fine, and I can continue to drink.
- What’s your plan moving forward? When I started the 100-day challenge, I want to keep clarity. I’m going to work the steps, and go to more meetings, and build more of a sober community here.
- What’s your favorite resource in recovery? Recovery Elevator, and a speaker meeting I attend in LA.
- What parting piece of guidance can you give listeners who are in recovery or thinking about quitting drinking? What you gain is so much more than you are giving up.
- You might be an alcoholic if you know your boyfriend is, and you decided to move in with him after 9 months, and you still don’t think you have a problem.
Resources mentioned in this episode:
Connect with Cafe RE– Use the promo code Elevator for your first month free
Sober Selfies! – Send your Sober Selfie and your Success Story to email@example.com
“We took the elevator down, we gotta take the stairs back up, we can do this!”