Kari, with 4 years since her last drink, shares her story……………….
Café RE is now on a waitlist to join. Once the list gets to approximately 30-40 people, another group will be formed. To be placed on the waitlist, go to www.recoveryelevator.com and click on the Café RE tab at the top of the page. Enter the promo code RE1month to join.
Paul reviews the video “The 13th Step.” The 13th step (where new comers are “preyed” upon by others in AA) is joked about in and out of the rooms. The fact is that courts are ordering violent sexual predators to AA for a plea deal. AA should not be a punishment but 40-60% of its attendees are court ordered. This movie depicts AA in a negative light. Sure, there are flaws with AA. Every program has negative aspects and positive aspects. I personally dislike movies that bash any recovery program.
[ 8:39 ] Paul Introduces Kari
Kari – I am 4 years sober and live in Montana. I am married and enjoy skiing, hiking, biking and running.
[11:42] What were your drinking habits like?
Kari – I drank through high school but it really ramped up after college. I was a binge and social drinker but would drink until I blacked out. I would often try and regulate my drinking and could do this for a little while. I would track my drinks on a calendar but was miserable when I tried to moderate.
[22:00] Did you have a bottom?
Kari – After my college boyfriend committed suicide, I just didn’t care to keep my drinking in check. Another bottom was when I locked myself out of my truck after a concert. My husband had to come and get me. He was very angry and I came to the realization that my life and marriage would not continue if I was still drinking.
[29:17] How did you get sober?
Kari – I reached out to some friends who were in AA and attended my first meeting. I immediately knew that I belonged. I saw hope in these meetings and a light at the end of the tunnel.
[36:00] Describe what your day is like.
Kari – Every morning I do some type of reading about recovery (Today’s a Gift, Each Day a New Beginning). I enjoy the beauty around me and it helps keep me grounded. I say thank you every night.
[39:30] Paul and Kari discuss her recent sailing trip
Kari – Both my husband and I were nervous that we wouldn’t have fun. We still enjoyed our fruit drinks without alcohol and kept up our tradition of drinking during the sunsets. I was able to remember the entire sailing trip.
[42:40] Rapid Fire Round
- What was your worst memory from drinking? when I was in college and went up to the rooftop thinking it would be a good idea to jump
- Did you ever have an “oh-shit” moment? when I realized I couldn’t control my drinking
- What’s your plan moving forward? sharing my story as often as possible
- What’s your favorite resource in recovery? AA
- What’s the best advice you’ve ever received (on sobriety)? there is nothing that says that you have to figure this all out on your own
- What parting piece of guidance can you give listeners who are in recovery or thinking about quitting drinking? no matter how bad you feel, you can turn your life around
- You might be an alcoholic if….you order 2 drinks and slide the first one to the side because it’s the first one that gets you
Resources mentioned in this episode:
Connect with Cafe RE– Use the promo code Elevator for your first month free
Sober Selfies! – Send your Sober Selfie and your Success Story to email@example.com
“We took the elevator down, we gotta take the stairs back up, we can do this!”